Witness Appeal After East Park Attack Leaves Teenager with Broken Jaw

1

Police are seeking for any witnesses after a teenager had his jaw broken following an unprovoked assault in East Park, Southampton on Friday, August 9.

The victim was on his way home after having been out with friends. As he was walking through East Park at around 3.30pm, he passed a group near the war memorial, one of which punched him in the face before running off.

East Park, Southampton where the attack took place.
East Park where the attack took place.

The attacker has been described as brown skinned, 17-20 years old, around 5ft 8ins tall, slim build with short, black hair. He was wearing a dark top and dark coloured jeans.

Detective Constable Robert Cox said: “This was a random and senseless attack and the victim had done nothing to provoke his attacker.

“His broken jaw will require surgery and will cause him many months of pain and discomfort.

“There were people present at the time of the attack who we believe know the identity of the offender. I would appeal to them to come forward and name him because this was a violent, despicable assault and he cannot be allowed to get away with it.

“We are conducting a full investigation into this attack and it would be much easier for witnesses to come forward now than wait for us to find them.

“I appreciate it may be difficult for them to come forward but they can talk to us anonymously or even call Crimestoppers if they think that would be easier.”

Anyone with any information should contact DC Cox at Shirley CID on 101 or call the anonymous Crimestoppers charity on 0800 555 111.

News Editor for the Wessex Scene 2013 - 2015. I lead the news section, consistently providing the website with up-to-date news content. I am experienced in researching, reporting, writing and editing breaking news stories.