UPDATE: Girl, 16, Sexually Assaulted Near Common

3

UPDATE: Police have released an e-fit image of the sexual assault suspect:

Screen shot 2013-08-23 at 13.54.00

He spoke English, and was wearing a dark zip-up hoodie over a white top. Anyone with information should contact CID on the number below, quoting Operation Biscay.

Southampton Central detectives are looking for any potential witnesses to the sexual assault of a 16-year-old girl near Southampton Common.

At around 11:40pm on Tuesday 20th August, the girl and a friend walked home via the underpass underneath The Avenue, near to Lover’s Walk and Avenue Campus, and the two then went in different directions.

As the girl reached a Y-shaped fork, a man approached her and assaulted her. The man walked towards the Common afterwards, and the girl headed home and notified the police.

The man is said to be slim, white, and in his late twenties. He has short blonde hair and is around 5ft 11inches tall. He was wearing a dark hoodie and trousers.

Detectives reiterated advice to women to avoid unlit areas at night, and that taking a taxi or travelling with a friend is preferable to walking alone. If anybody saw the man in question around the scene or time of the incident, they are urged to contact Southampton Central CID on 101.

Editor and MA English student. Follow on Twitter @SamEverard1

What the fuck is wrong with people in Southampton, SERIOUSLY?!

James

I keep asking myself the same question since I came to this godforsaken place for studies…