Police Launch Appeal After Serious Sexual Assault on 20 Year Old Woman

0

Hampshire Police are urging witnesses to come forward following a serious sexual assault which took place between 3am and 3.45am on the morning of Saturday, August 31.

The victim was a 20-year-old woman, who was walking alone along West Quay Road when she met a group of around five men near Ikea, who began to engage in conversation with her.

Map showing the route from Ikea towards the De Vere Hotel when the assault took place.

The woman then continued to walk along West Quay Road, near the De Vere Grand Harbour Hotel, when she was grabbed by one of the men, who pulled her into a bush. It is alleged that the man seriously sexually assaulted her, before leaving the scene.

The suspect is described as:

• • White
  • • About 20-22-years-old
  • • About five feet five inches tall
  • • Muscular build
  • • Medium brown, trimmed beard
  • • Short hair at the sides and long on top and combed over (known as a French crop)
  • • At the time of the incident the man was wearing dark blue skinny jeans and a t-shirt

DI Dave Nealon, who is investigating the incident, said:

“The 20-year-old victim has understandably been very shaken by this incident and has been receiving support from our specially trained officers.

“We are appealing for any witnesses to this serious sexual assault, or anyone who recognises the man from the description, to come forward to help us with our enquiries.

“Officers would particularly like to speak with two men who kindly stopped and helped the victim after the incident, as well as a man who was seen cycling in the area and a group of five men, who were all seen on CCTV around the time of the incident, as they may have seen or heard something that may assist the investigation.

Anyone with information should call Southampton CID on 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111

News Editor for the Wessex Scene 2013 – 2015. I lead the news section, consistently providing the website with up-to-date news content. I am experienced in researching, reporting, writing and editing breaking news stories.