Southampton Restaurants in the Running for UK’s Favourite Tapas Venue

1

Two restaurants in Southampton have been selected to take part in a competition to discover the UK’s favourite tapas venue.

Cast your vote now!
Cast your vote now!

La Esquina and La Regata are staking a claim for the title in a competition run by artisan Andalusian beer brand Alhambra, and the final winner will be announced on 12th October 2013, Spain’s National Day.

Tapas is thought to have originated from the Andalusia, a region of Spain. Literally meaning “Lid”, it is thought by many that tapas first came about in Andalusia when plates were placed on top of glasses to stop the fruit flies spoiling the sherry.  Soon morsels of food accompanied the plates before bars started to compete with each other, offering their own speciality tapa.  Today tapas is recognised as the quintessential cuisine of Spain and is celebrated and enjoyed around the world.

For those who are well acquainted with the Oxford Street’s restaurants, La Esquina will no doubt be recognised. As a family run restaurant, this establishment aims to recreate the Spanish flavours that inspired owners Ian and Gill, in a relaxed and informal dining atmosphere.

Located in the heart of Southampton’s waterfront, La Regata offers a wide range of Spanish tapas, from octopus to tortillas. As well as a comprehensive à la carte menu, it also offers an extensive, authentic and homemade selection of traditional Spanish dishes.

To vote for these two wonderful restaurants, visit the competition’s Facebook page here. Voters will be entered into a monthly prize draw where they can win £100, with the winning restaurant receiving £2000!

Register your vote now and support your local restaurants!