Southampton Researchers Confirm Link between Antidepressants and Diabetes

0

Researchers at the University of Southampton have warned of a connection between antidepressants and the development of type two diabetes.

Having accessed twenty two studies and three reviews the researchers concluded that people on antidepressants are more likely to suffer from type two diabetes. These findings come at a time when prescriptions for antidepressants are on the rise. Dr Katharine Barnard, Health Psychologist from the University of Southampton, has this to say about it “Our research shows that when you take away all the classic risk factors of type 2 diabetes; weight gain, lifestyle etc, there is something about antidepressants that appears to be an independent risk factor. With 46 million prescriptions a year, this potential increased risk is worrying”

This is not the first time that antidepressants have come under scrutiny. In fact this is just the latest in a long string of warnings over possible side effects. There have also been questions raised about the drugs effectiveness, casting further doubt over the large number of yearly prescriptions.

It currently remains unclear what the exact risks from different antidepressants may be and so further studies are required. In the meantime it has been suggested that clinicians should be wary of the possible risks when prescribing antidepressants.