Southampton Returns to University Challenge

0

The University of Southampton will return to play University Challenge in the highest scoring loser play-off this Monday, October 28.

The team of four students, comprising of team captain Bob De Caux along with David Bishop, Richard Evans and Matt Loxham, will take on Loughborough University for a chance to be in the second round. SUSU the cat will also be returning as mascot.

Photo Credit: BBC
The team with Jeremy Paxman. Photo Credit: BBC

The University of Southampton originally lost in the first round with 155 points, against the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), constituent college of the University of London, who qualified straight to the second round with 230 points.

This series seems to be one of Southampton’s most successful appearances on the show in recent years. Southampton’s last appearance was in 2010, where the team lost in round one with 115 points to Newnham College, Cambridge.

Find out about what it was like to appear on University Challenge when the Wessex Scene interviewed team captain Bob De Caux in August.

The academic quiz show is presented by Jeremy Paxman, and involves teams of students from UK universities answer questions across a range of subjects.

Don’t miss the Southampton team compete at 8pm on BBC 2, Monday 28 October 2013.

News Editor for the Wessex Scene 2013 - 2015. I lead the news section, consistently providing the website with up-to-date news content. I am experienced in researching, reporting, writing and editing breaking news stories.