Storm Set To Hit Southampton

0

Southampton and other parts of the UK have been warned to expect harsh weather conditions from Sunday evening.

Flood warnings have been issued, with up to 40mm of rain and hurricane-force winds expected from the storm which is heading towards the UK from the Atlantic. Whilst the forecasters believe the storm will reach the South Coast on Sunday, the full effects will be felt on Monday.

The Met Office have said that the storm is unusual as it will be in its most powerful phase when moving across the UK, due to the fact that it has developed so close to the country. Forecasters said warm air near to the UK and a strong jet stream are contributing to the potential strength of the storm.

The conditions which have been forecast have been compared to that of the Great Storm of 1987, which caused several fatalities and £1 billion worth of damage to the UK.

The RAC has warned the public against travel during the torrential rain and strong winds, with a substantial possibility of power cuts and falling trees.

These dangerous conditions come just days after a thunder and lightning storm caused damage to several buildings across the city, including Wide Lane, Jubilee Sports Hall and the Students’ Union.