Update: Southampton Triumph over Loughborough on University Challenge

0

The University of Southampton has succeeded in gaining a place in the next round of academic quiz show University Challenge after beating Loughborough University in the last of the highest scoring loser play-offs.

The Southampton team, comprising of team captain Bob De Caux along with David Bishop, Richard Evans and Matt Loxham answered questions across a range of subjects including Parliament, Songbirds in Poetry, the Caribbean and early 15th century manuscript the Bedford Hours.

uni challenge take 2
Despite their defeat, Loughborough wished the Southampton team good luck in the next round

Host Jeremy Paxman commented that Southampton had been “very quick on the buzzer”, finishing with a triumphant score of 185 versus Loughborough’s 80 points.

The University of Southampton originally lost in the first round with 155 points, against the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), constituent college of the University of London, who qualified straight to the second round with 230 points.

SUSU the cat representing Southampton.
Part of the Team: SUSU The Cat returned in the role as mascot

This series is one of Southampton’s most successful appearances on the show in recent years. Southampton’s last appearance was in 2010, where the team lost in round one with 115 points to Newnham College, Cambridge.

Find out about what it was like to appear on University Challenge when the Wessex Scene interviewed team captain Bob De Caux in August.

Replay the episode here on BBC iPlayer.

Interested in being on next years’ University Challenge team? The first try-outs will be on 6th and 8th November, at the Boardroom in Building 42 (the main SUSU building). Click here for more information.

News Editor for the Wessex Scene 2013 - 2015. I lead the news section, consistently providing the website with up-to-date news content. I am experienced in researching, reporting, writing and editing breaking news stories.