Double Attack in Portswood Pub

1

Police in Portswood are appealing for witnesses after a pub landlord and the friend who tried to help him were attacked.

The incident happened at The Richmond Inn, Portswood Road, on Saturday, October 27 when the 57-year-old landlord refused to serve a group of men and women.

One of the women then started to punch him repeatedly.

A man from the group grabbed the landlord around the throat and pushed him across the room, breaking a table. The landlord was then held down by the man, whilst another woman and another man repeatedly kicked and punched him.

A 62- year-old male friend of the landlord proceeded to help him. However, he was then punched in the face, receiving serious facial injuries.

The Richmond Inn, where the attacks happened.
The Richmond Inn on Portswood Road

The woman is described as in her late thirties or early forties. She is 5ft 2-3ins tall and very slim. She wore her black hair loose. It is below shoulder length and straight. She was tanned or wearing a lot of make up. She wore an animal or leopard print short sleeved blouse, blue denim jeans and Chelsea-type boots.

The first man is white and in his early forties. He is thickset, strong looking and 5ft 8-9ins tall. He has light brown or ginger stubble around the upper lip and chin. He is largely balding, with some fair hair on his head.

The second man is white and in his thirties. He is well built and about 5ft 10-11ins tall. He has a wide face and a big jaw. He has fair, curtained collar-length hair. This man wore a bulky beige jacket which is just longer than waist level.

PC Kate Wright said:

“This was a rare incident in a busy and popular pub. Numerous people are believed to have been in the pub at the time of the assaults. They could not help but see what happened. I need to hear from anyone who can identify those involved”

The landlord had many areas of bruising and the assault has now aggravated an old back injury. The second victim is believed to be in need of surgery after receiving an open break to his right cheek bone.

Anyone with information is asked to contact PC Wright at Portswood police station on 101.

News Editor for the Wessex Scene 2013 - 2015. I lead the news section, consistently providing the website with up-to-date news content. I am experienced in researching, reporting, writing and editing breaking news stories.