The Winchester Christmas Market

0

As Christmas is merely one month away, with the city’s festive lights shining bright and merry Christmas ballads already playing throughout high street stores, I guess we can all agree the time has finally come to start gift hunting and what a better place to start than the Winchester Christmas Market recognised as ‘one of the best in Europe’?

thumb

From last year’s experience, I would not say that the above quote is at all an exaggeration, as I have got to agree the place was buzzing with people and festivities. Even the hot foods on offer, both Foreign and British, were so sweet and mouth-watering… if it had not been for the frosty weather the experience would have been complete.

Some of the ninety-one stalls at the Christmas market in Winches

The Market attracts more than 350,000 visitors a year, so it’s not just me either. Hoards of charming little wooden chalets surround an outdoor ice rink, another jovial addition to this one month event. The Winchester Christmas Market is pleasantly situated within the Cathedral’s inner Close, so the market is nicely hidden away from the noisy bustling of the city’s centre and dusty vehicles that cover the roads.

rink

Inspired by German Christmas Markets, the Winchester Christmas Market invite British artists and craftsmen to sell an array of handmade jewellery, decorations, paintings and sculptures, and many other interesting and unique gifts, mostly of which you cannot find in high street stores, not even in central Winchester with its abundance of history and tourists. And as Winchester is only a 15 minute train ride away from Southampton, it is within easy reach for all you students up on the main Soton campuses.

The Market will be running for 32 days, having started on the 21st November and it will continue until Sunday 22nd December, so there is no excuse to miss out!

Currently the Winchester Editor of Wessex Scene, Kalisto is a fine arts student, keen writer and emerging artist with a mighty love of coffee...