Update: Southampton Through to Quarter-Finals on University Challenge

3

The University of Southampton are through to the quarter-finals of popular quiz show University Challenge after beating Bangor University in the second round.

Host Jeremy Paxman commented that Southampton had been ‘on fire’,  the team achieving an incredible 335 versus Bangor University’s 60 points.

Triumphant: the Southampton team beat Bangor for a place in the quarter-finals.

The Southampton team, comprising of team captain Bob De Caux alongside David Bishop, Richard Evans and Matt Loxham (as well as returning mascot SUSU the Cat) answered questions on a range of subjects including artists of the Italian Renaissance, identifying New York thoroughfares, 20th century history and graphic novels.

The University of Southampton originally lost in their first round with 155 points, against the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), constituent college of the University of London, who qualified straight to the second round with 230 points.

Photo Credit: BBC
Photo Credit: BBC

However, Southampton qualified as a highest-scoring loser and then winning against Loughborough University with a triumphant score of 185 versus Loughborough’s 80 points which permitted them a place in the second round.

This series is one of Southampton’s most successful appearances on the show in recent years. Southampton’s last appearance was in 2010, where the team lost in round one with 115 points to Newnham College, Cambridge.

Find out about what it was like to appear on University Challenge when the Wessex Scene interviewed team captain Bob De Caux in August.

Replay the episode here on BBC iPlayer.

News Editor for the Wessex Scene 2013 - 2015. I lead the news section, consistently providing the website with up-to-date news content. I am experienced in researching, reporting, writing and editing breaking news stories.

Awesome job!

When are they on next?

Shaun Harvey

Hi avid fan. We don’t know yet when their next appearance will be but we’ll let you know when we do.