NOCS Students Left Stranded in Traffic Chaos

2

Students at the National Oceanography Centre, Southampton were left stranded as Uni-link stopped buses to the centre due to heavy traffic.

The U1 service is currently only running to the City Centre only following heavy traffic in the city earlier, concentrated around the docks and West Quay road area of the city.

The traffic is mainly caused by passengers arriving in the city to join the three cruise ships Aidasol, Oceana and Queen Mary 2 currently docked in the city. This has been exacerbated by checks carried out by the police and port operator ABP on passengers and the road works currently taking place along Platform Road, outside Dock Gate 4.

Traffic delays were also worsened by an incident involving a lorry and a Mercedes at around 10am this morning. No one was injured.

The Wessex Scene will keep you updated as events progress.

Update at 16.40: The U1 service to NOC has not resumed and as a result all U1 buses are still terminating in the city centre. Congestion is still present around Dock Gate 4 despite the rest of the city experiencing normal rush hour levels of traffic.

History student and passionate writer about everything connected to Southampton and its rich tapestry of stories and history. Due to an unfortunate case of graduation, this writer is no longer active.

Surely not massively stranded as the free citybus would take students further down that way?

Steven Osborn

You are correct about the City Link free bus, but the nearest stop for that bus is on Town Quay, a good 15 minute walk away. Bear in mind that this is through the docks themselves and along platform road where it is difficult to pass due to the road works.