Police Seek Witnesses to Vernon Walk Fight

0

An appeal for witnesses is made following an altercation that left a Southampton man hospitalised. 

At about 1.40am Saturday, November 23, officers were called to a fight involving six to eight men on Vernon Walk in the city centre. One Southampton man, 23, was unconscious on the pavement when police arrived.

He was taken to Southampton General Hospital for treatment to a deep wound to the back of his head. He was released after treatment.

CCTV shows the confrontation between two groups of men. It also shows numerous witnesses who were watching or trying to avoid getting tangled up in the altercation.

A still of those believed to have been involved in the incident and witness to it.
Anyone who is circled is asked to contact the police.

PC Nick Stead is the officer in the case. He said:

“This is a fight involving a number of men in a busy part of the night time economy.  There were a number of people in the area, who could not avoid witnessing this violence.

“We want to speak to those involved in the fight and anyone who witnessed what happened.”

A 24-year-old man of no fixed abode was arrested on suspicion of affray. He was bailed, pending further enquiries, until February 11.

Anyone who took part in the incident or who witnessed it is asked to contact PC Stead at Shirley CID on 101.