University Fellow Wins Prestigious Award

0

Simon Kemp (centre) receives his award from host Sandi Toksvig (left).

Engineering and the Environment fellow Simon Kemp has won the ‘Most Innovative Teacher of the Year’ award at this years Times Higher Education Awards.

The awards, which are nicknamed as the ‘Oscars’ of the higher education world, were handed out at a presentation evening held on Thursday 28 November in London and hosted by comedian Sandi Toksvig.

Simon’s teaching exemplifies the best in innovative and inspirational teaching in UK higher education today

Philippa Levy
Deputy Chief Executive, Higher Education Academy
The judging panel were impressed by Simon’s approach that challenges students by putting them in ‘real-life business situations’ and which also involved them undertaking professional audits of major Southampton businesses including WestQuay shopping centre, Skandia Insurance and Southampton General Hospital.

He was also praised for encouraging over 100 other businesses in the city to become greener and for improving the teaching experience through technology such as recording lectures and by using twitter to extend debates beyond the classroom and across course boundaries.

Southampton Blackout Team 2013

In addition to being Principal Teaching Fellow in the Engineering and Environment faculty he is also involved with the Higher Education Academy and is Chair of Suistainability Action at the University, which aims to embed sustainability into all areas of the University. As part of this last role he is also heavily involved with the annual Southampton Blackout, which managed to save 1.2 tonnes of carbon dioxide and £287 last year, and the new BEES initiative, which aims to transform the ethical and environmental business practices in the city.

As part of the award, students described Simon’s teaching as “brilliant”, “totally unique”, “extremely well designed” and being “incredibly academically rewarding.” He was nominated by the University’s Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Education, Professor Alex Neill who commented that:

It’s very good to see Simon’s work as an educator recognised once again at national level; winning the THE award is a real achievement of which the University is extremely proud.

The final word however goes to Simon himself on receiving his award:

I am absolutely delighted to win such a prestigious award! I am passionate about my teaching and I always seek to provide a rich and rewarding learning experience for our students.

The Wessex Scene would like to congratulate Simon on his well deserved achievement!

History student and passionate writer about everything connected to Southampton and its rich tapestry of stories and history.

Due to an unfortunate case of graduation, this writer is no longer active.