EVENT: How the Higgs Gives Mass to Particles

0

The Southampton Theory, Astrophysics and Gravity Research Centre will be hosting their 2014 keynote lecture on Wednesday, given by physics Nobel laureate Gerard ‘t Hooft.

The STAG Research Centre was launched a year ago with a lecture from Astronomer Royal, Lord Martin Rees, “From Mars to the Multiverse”, discussing the cosmic history of our universe and how we are discovering new things about it. It was an exciting occasion, reflecting on the work of the groups at the University of Southampton and their future aims as a partnership, including:-

• improving our understanding of the extremem environments generated by black holes and neutron stars
  • exploring the identity of dark matter and dark energy that make up 95% of our universe
    and
  • bridging the gap between quantum theory and gravity through their expertise in string theory and holography, a technique for 3D modelling

Last year, STAG Director Professor Chris Sachrajda said “We hope this will be the first in a series of high profile research seminars organised by STAG”, and indeed this has been the case.

The latest of these talks is to be given by Gerard ‘t Hooft, who shared the 1999 Nobel Prize in Physics for work on the quantum sturcture of electroweak interactions, and now continues to work in the field of black holes and quantum gravity. His talk will focus on the sub-atomic particle recently discovered at CERN, thought to be the long-sought Higgs particle.

The event is taking place in Turner Sims on Wednesday 1st October at 2.30pm.

Lord Martin Rees and Professor Chris Sachrajda at last year’s launch event

Physics student and regular freelance science communicator, shooting for the stars. I'm your Science Editor and with the help of a team of talented writers, strive to bring you the most interesting and relevant science stories.