Southampton Hub to host International Development Conference on 18th October

0

The Southampton Hub’s International Development Conference returns on Saturday 18th October for its sixth year.

Bringing together students, staff and other leading organisations, the aim of the conference is to explore problems and solutions in international development and, more specifically, the roles of global citizenship, social action and sustainability in the future of development.

With a dynamic group of speakers already confirmed, the event is definitely one not to be missed.

From the University of Southampton’s very own ECS department, Dr James Dyke will focus on ‘Global Challenges’ and Ruth Taylor from the UK-wide volunteering programme Impact International is going to run a session on responsible international volunteers.

Human rights charity Amnesty International will be represented by Irene Halford, who will speak on the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, human trafficking and modern day slavery, while Jemima Hartshorn, the trustee for the ‘Hunger Project’, has been invited to talk about the organisation’s commitment to the sustainable end of world hunger.

If you are a final year student interested in pursuing a career in International Development, talks by Emma Kelleher from GNDR (Global Network of Civil Society Organisations for Disaster Reduction) and Jeff Riley, a careers consultant and blogger from the University of London, will be especially worthwhile. Kelleher, a University of Southampton graduate, will not only speak on disaster reduction but will also touch upon her own experience of leaving university and the subsequent progression to her current International Development career. Likewise, Riley will give advice on ‘how to get into International Development’.

For such a packed conference full to the brim with engaging talks and workshop sessions, the price of admission at £6 is definitely worth the money. It even includes a free (ethnically sourced) lunch!

All university students are welcome to attend.

For further information visit www.southamptonhub.org/idc

You can buy your ticket at https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/international-development-conference-tickets-13280625709

Tweet the conference using the hashtag #SIDC2014