Winchester Christmas Market Is Upon Us!

0

Yes, it is indeed that time of year again. Those festive decorations hidden away in the attic have been decked out through shopping malls and jolly Christmas ballads have hit the daily radio. And of course, with every Christmas comes the Winchester Christmas Market, which opened yesterday for the 8th year running.

Attribution: Jim Champion
Attribution: Jim Champion

Recognised as one of the most successful and cultural in Europe, Winchester Christmas Market, which is situated in Winchester Cathedral’s Inner and Outer Close, was founded in 2006 and has become a famous event in the historic city’s annual calendar. The Market welcomes over 350,000 visitors per year, and is heavily influenced by conventional German Christmas markets.

The little wooden chalets, that sell original and unique gifts from specially selected craftsmen and exhibitors, surround an open- air ice rink that is situated in the very centre of the Close. In addition there is plenty of food and drink to get you into the festive spirit, including mince pies, mulled wine and bratwurst.

On Friday evening (21st November, 6pm to 9pm) the Market will be hosting a free public event in celebration of its 2014 opening, introducing live music, a pyrotechnic display and a marvellous parade of paper lanterns.

Winchester Christmas Market is open from Thursday 20th November to Sunday 21st December, open every day Sunday-Wednesday from 10am-6pm, and Thursday-Saturday from 10am-7:30pm.

Currently the Winchester Editor of Wessex Scene, Kalisto is a fine arts student, keen writer and emerging artist with a mighty love of coffee…