#LettuceOnMars Project Reaches Finals of International Competition

0

A project developed by students from the University of Southampton’s Spaceflight Society has reached the final stage of an international competition.

#LettuceOnMars, which aims to send a small greenhouse to Mars in which lettuce can be grown using the planet’s atmosphere and sunlight, is the only entry from a UK university out of the ten projects that reached the final stage. It was selected by judges due to the popularity of the idea, as well as how technically feasible it was deemed to be.

The University's Spaceflight Society, a team of undergraduate and postgraduate students studying many different degrees.
The university’s Spaceflight Society, a team of undergraduate and postgraduate students studying many different degrees.

The team now need the votes of the public in order to be selected as the winning entry – online voting is currently open and closes on 31 December 2014.

Project leader, Suzanna Lucarotti, said:

“To live on other planets we need to grow food there. No-one has ever actually done this and we intend to be the first. This plan is both technically feasible and incredibly ambitious in its scope, for we will be bringing the first complex life to another planet.”

The competition is run by Mars One, an organisation that wants to establish a permanent human colony on Mars by 2025.

The winning entry from the student competition will arrive on Mars in 2018 along with a number of experiments run by the Mars One organisation.

Deputy Editor 2017-18, International Editor 2015-17. Languages student adjusting to being back in the UK after a year in Chile. Interested in Latin America, world news, media and politics.