The Shop On Top Opens

0

SUSU, the University’s Students’ Union, has opened a new commercial store above the existing Shop on Highfield Campus.

The outside of The Shop On Top
The outside of The Shop On Top

The Shop On Top, as the new location has been called, specialises in clothing, gifts and stationary from both the University and SUSU. It also specialises in the Team Southampton branded sports wear, which anyone can wear and which will no doubt become more prevalent with Varsity drawing near.

The clothing area including changing room.

Much of this stock was previously sold in The Shop, although lack of space meant little of it was accessible with some offering samples only. In addition, it was often vying for space with the food and other everyday items. The move of these items upstairs hopefully will result in a better Shop space as well as allowing these items the exposure they deserve. The new space even includes a changing area so customers can try on the clothing on offer.

The gift area of the Shop on Top
The gift area of the Shop on Top

The unit above the Shop is located next to Shine, the hairdressers, and the Unilink Office and was formerly occupied by Wessex Custom Clothing who vacated to move to the Bevois Valley area of Southampton late last year.

Future possibilities for the shop include selling the products of student enterprise in the outlet and the main Shop below as part of a project led by SUSU President David Mendoza-Wolfson. In a recent blog, David said that the space would “give our student companies a sense of professionalism and a taste of how it feel to sell in a ‘normal’ retail environment.”

The Shop on Top is open Mondays to Fridays between 9.30am and 3.30pm.

History student and passionate writer about everything connected to Southampton and its rich tapestry of stories and history. Due to an unfortunate case of graduation, this writer is no longer active.