Elections Night Live 2015: Candidate interviews

0

Welcome to SUSU Election Night 2015!!! Here we’ve interviewed some of the candidates as they get ready to hear the results of all their hard work campaigning.

Union President:

Benjamin Franklin

Sum up your feelings in three words:  ‘Anticipacious’ -that’s not a real word but it will do for now – and exhilerated.

If you could do this again, what would you change about your campaign?   I would restructure my manifesto to reconsider where some of the points fell, so that I had a clearer message of what I wanted to do under each of the three things. I’m fairly happy with it but I think that some of them could be fleshed out so that I could quantify them more or them qualify them.

What has been your favourite part of elections? I was pleasantly surprised by the reaction to Anaconda, I thought that people who knew me would see it was the light hearted fun that it was, but everyone else might be a bit, like, “oh my god who is this guy, why is he running for President?” But generally it was well received so I’m happy about that.

Who would you like to thank? My campaign team, my campaign manager who is nameless because she’s not meant to be my campaign manager, and my housemates who have dealt with me when I’ve been drunk, stoppy, stressed and excited. And everyone who took the time to vote.

After party at Jesters or Switch? I have a friend who has a 21st at Switch – so I think I’m heading there!

Sebastian Vogelpoel

If you could do this again, what would you change about your campaign?  I came into the campaign quite late because I wasn’t sure I wanted to run for a long time so if I had made the decision to run earlier I could have put my ideas to better use earlier on. A lot of my campaigning was thinking on the go but it was good, I was quite creative I think.

What has been your favourite part of elections? My favourite part has been all of these different societies which I have always wanted to go to and now I have an excuse to go! They are fantastic and I’m going to try and continue to go to some of them.

Who would you like to thank? I would like to thank my flatmates because they have put up with me being messier than usual and talking about campaigning all the time. They’ve also been really helpful supporting me the whole way. I don’t want to mention any names in case I forget anyone but there have been a lot of people from my society, from my group of friends, and from the people I live with and they have all been brilliant.

After party at Jesters or Switch? Neither. Maybe Talking Heads, we’ll see.

Vice President Student Communities:

Rebecca Lake

Sum up your feelings in three words: Anxious, excited, tired.

If you could do this again, what would you change about your campaign? I’d probably like to start earlier. I’d try not to get too bogged down with things, or get stressed out.

What has been your favourite part of elections? That’s hard! Even though it was really scary I really liked the debates. I enjoyed putting up posters, and all the creative side of it. Plus karaoke last night, that was fun!

Who would you like to thank? My friends, Tony in particular, Jamie, and Aaron, who wasn’t on my campaign team but he’s been emotional support! Most of all my boyfriend Matt, who’s been amazing – he’s put up with me moaning and getting frustrated and he’s helped me with the difficult side of things as well. He deserves a well done!!

After party at Jesters or Switch? Switch, although I’m not having one tonight, as I’m going out tomorrow!

Anjit Aulakh

Sum up your feelings in three words: Nervous, anxious, impatient.

If you could do this again, what would you change about your campaign? Have more posters, and a banner!

What has been your favourite part of elections? When i bumped into an Erasmus student I helped find a bus stop when she’d first arrived here – I bumped into her recently and she said “you’re running for the elections! I’ve got as many people as I can to vote for you, because the university needs more people like you!” That just made my day.

Who would you like to thank? My parents, my competitor, anyone and everyone who’s helped me campaign, and everyone who’s helped run the elections – so basically everyone!

After party at Jesters or Switch? Home! I will be partying at home! My lower back is in a state and a half and I’m going to bed!

Vice President Education:

Shruti Verma

Sum up your feelings in three words: Nervous, terrified and bricking it!

If you could do this again, what would you change about your campaign?  I haven’t thought about it enough, I think I would have done my videos at the right time or maybe make better videos and perhaps released my campaign song earlier.

What has been your favourite part of elections?  I’m going to be really cheesy – probably meeting the people that I knew of but actually meeting them as people, because you know the other people who are running and you get to know them and it’s really nice.

Who would you like to thank? Carolina who did all my media for me well in advance for elections, Matt who wrote and recorded my songs, my boyfriend for putting up with me for the last few weeks and my friends who have all supported me.

After party at Jesters or Switch? Neither, I’m going to London, but I would go to jesters – if I could!

Vice President Engagement:

Jenny Bortoluzzi

Sum up your feelings in three words: I know it’s not 3 words, but: ‘I want it to be over’.

If you could do this again, what would you change about your campaign?  The spamming of people on facebook, I am one of those people who absolutely hate doing that. People really don’t care after a while and just start ignoring the notifications!

What has been your favourite part of elections? Coming up and designing my campaign with my team.

Who would you like to thank? The classic, my campaign manager, he’s been really amazing for me.

After party at Jesters or Switch? My bed!

Vice President Democracy and Creative Industries:

Chris McGeehan

Sum up your feelings in three words:  Excited, relieved and resigned.

If you could do this again, what would you change about your campaign?  I wouldn’t change too much, perhaps get the dog involved earlier because that seemed to be a bit of a winner! I would have done a little bit more lecture shout-outs but I think given how it’s gone in the past few weeks, I have done mostly everything I could and I’m pretty happy with it.

What has been your favourite part of elections? Talking to students. Admittedly, I didn’t get too many opportunities to do that but even today it was interesting speaking to a few postgraduate students – they weren’t going to vote but it was still interesting speaking to them!

Who would you like to thank? I’d like to thank my dog, I said that if I win I’ll have to buy him a whole chicken for dinner! I’d also like to thank people who have helped me with my campaign, the other candidates, particularly my opponent Kerry and everyone who has been involved with organising the elections and running the coverage for the media teams this year.

After party at Jesters or Switch? Jesters, if I was going!

Kerry Sclater

If you could do this again, what would you change about your campaign? I would do a parody video and I would have done Uptown Funk – if it wasn’t the official elections song!

What has been your favourite part of elections? I think making new friends with some of the different candidates and meeting a lot of new people.

Who would you like to thank? All my friends, my housemates, my boyfriend and my cat (who got run over today).

After party at Jesters or Switch? Jesters, always Jesters.

Vice President Welfare:

Sam Bailey

Sum up your feelings in three words: Tired, tired, tired!

If you could do this again, what would you change about your campaign?  I don’t think so, I dont like hindsight, I don’t like having regrets. I’ve had fun, I hope other people have. Hopefully it hasn’t been too long and exhausting.

What has been your favourite part of elections? Getting to know new people. I’ve met lots of people and it’s been nice to talk to students about things that they’re actually interested in.

Who would you like to thank? I’ve had a good group of friends who’ve helped me out, they’re brilliant. I’d also like to thank Ed, whos had to put up with so much elections stuff. And all the media departments who’ve done a brilliant job, Megan, Guy and Katie.

After party at Jesters or Switch? I hear horrible things about Switch so it’s got to be Jesters! Better the devil you know!

Eva Pemberton

Sum up your feelings in three words: Relieved, excited, happy.

If you could do this again, what would you change about your campaign?   I wouldn’t change much, I wish I could have visited Winchester a bit more but that’s it.

What has been your favourite part of elections?  Going out and meeting new people, talking to people…

Who would you like to thank? My housemates and friends, they’ve been great, one of my friends dressed up as a house!

After party at Jesters or Switch? Switch, it’s pretty good on a Friday!!

Chibeza Mumbi

Sum up your feelings in three words: Amazing, happy and excited.

If you could do this again, what would you change about your campaign?   I wouldn’t do anything differently.

What has been your favourite part of elections? Definitely going out and talking to people, I think that was great.

Who would you like to thank? Everyone for supporting me, and my friends!

After party at Jesters or Switch? Jesters, I think!

Vice President Sports Development:

Roman Martin

Sum up your feelings in three words: Tired, Happy and Nervous

If you could do this again, what would you change about your campaign?  Not a lot, mostly if I was to do it again just go off with what i’ve got now, bu you can’t predict what other people are going to do and I’d like to say I would put more effort it but it can be difficult when you’ve got a degree to do too.

What has been your favourite part of elections? Meeting a lot of people. I’ve met a lot of sports teams, other people running and other great people too. It was not to experience just another side of university.

Who would you like to thank? The guys who did my video which took a long timebut it went very well, my girlfriend emily and my entire campaign team, they know who they are, theyve done a great job

After party at Jesters or Switch?Jesters, of course.

More articles in SUSU Elections 2015
  1. Candidate Interview: Ruchika Menon, VP Communities
  2. Elections Night Live 2015: Winner Interviews
  3. Late Election Entry: SUSU the Cat
  4. SUSU Elections: The Exit Polls
  5. Candidate Interview: Roman Martin, VP Sports Development
  6. Candidate Interview: Ashley Sivarajah, VP Sports Development
  7. Candidate Interview: Jamie Wilson, VP Sport Development
  8. Candidate Interview: Stephen Barratt, VP Sports Development
  9. Candidate Interview: Rebecca Lake, VP Student Communities
  10. SUSU Elections: Debates Round-Up
  11. Candidate Interview: Benjamin Franklin, President
  12. Candidate Interview: Chris McGeehan, VP DCI
  13. Candidate Interview: Kerry Sclater, VP DCI
  14. Candidate Interviews: Dan Varley and Flora Noble, JCR Officer
  15. Candidate Interview: Hannah Talbot, VP Engagement
  16. Candidate Interview: Shruti Verma, VP Education
  17. Candidate Interview: Jenny Bortoluzzi, VP Engagement
  18. Candidate Interview: Anjit Aulakh, VP Student Communities
  19. Candidate Interview: Chibeza Mumbi, VP Welfare
  20. Candidate Interview: Sam Bailey, VP Welfare
  21. SUSU Election Rumours: Who’s Running?
  22. BREAKING: VP Engagment Candidate Daniel Clemence Withdraws from SUSU Elections
  23. BREAKING: SUSU Election Candidates Revealed
  24. Elections Night Live 2015: Candidate interviews
  25. ELECTIONS NIGHT LIVE 2015: The Results
  26. PAUSE ELECTIONS LIVE BLOG 2015
  27. ELECTIONS NIGHT LIVE 2015