£40million Plan for New Student Flats in Southampton

1

Today it will be decided whether or not Sladen Estates and Britel Fund Trustees Ltd will be able to go ahead with plans to create more than 180 student flats at the B&Q site in Mayfield Road. 

The firm initiated plans after the site became vacant after the B&Q store closed, and the landlord did not renew the lease for the site.

The site in question for the new student flat complex is currently home to a recently closed B&Q.
The site in question for the new student flat complex is currently home to a recently closed B&Q

If the plan is given the go-ahead, it will create over 400 new jobs when construction ensues, with a total of 8 jobs available post-construction.

The student flats will offer 525 bedrooms across a mixture of three, four, five, and six-storey buildings, as well as a community café on the ground floor and an outdoor plaza.

Tonight, planning bosses will discover whether or not they can carry out their plans, and if permission is granted, students may be able to move in to the new complex by next September.

Speaking ahead of tonight’s decision, Sladen Estates’, Charles Fish, said:

“We have spent a great deal of time designing our plans and we believe the scheme can deliver these apartments in an attractive manner and appropriate manner, regenerating a prominent site that is currently lying vacant.”

BA English student at the University of Southampton and News Editor of the Wessex Scene 2014-2015.