UPDATED: Student’s Body Found in University Halls

The body of a student at the University of Southampton was discovered in Hartley Grove (Chamberlain) halls this Thursday, 23rd April. 

Alexander Ukwu was a 1st year MEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering student at the university.

According to the Daily Echo, police, fire and ambulance crews were called to the scene at the Glen Eyre complex at 11.26am yesterday. The Redbridge fire crew took initial precautions, after concerns over hazardous chemicals being in the room where the student was found.

The University of Southampton have  since released an official statement:

The University of Southampton can confirm the death of a 19 year-old male student found yesterday (Thursday, 23 April, 2015) at its Hartley Grove residence.

“Hampshire Constabulary confirm that the death is not being treated as suspicious and that a file is being prepared for the coroner. They have also confirmed that specialist officers were used to ensure that an amount of helium at the scene did not pose a risk to anyone at the residence. Further details regarding the student are not being made public at this time.

“The University would like to thank students and staff at Hartley Grove for their patience and support during this difficult time. We would also like to thank the emergency services for their effective and professional response.”

A current resident, who does not wish to be named, has said:

I went to go to lectures and I found the block packed with ambulances, police and firefighters. At first I assumed it was a gas leak.

The block then basically went into lockdown, and no-one was allowed in or out.

Neil White, Head of the Electronics and Computer Science said in a statement to ECS students this afternoon:

I am writing to you in my capacity as Head of ECS, and with great sadness, to notify you of the death yesterday of Alexander Ukwu who was a 1st year student studying MEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering.

Alexander will be sadly missed and we are in contact with his family to send our condolences and sympathy to them at this difficult time.

Condolences are passed on to the family and friends of the deceased, and if anyone has been affected by this story, please contact the University’s enabling services for advice and support.

Wessex Scene will keep you updated on this story as more news becomes available. 

Deputy Editor of the Wessex Scene for 2015/16. I often write News, Politics and Opinion pieces. As well as writing for the Scene I can be found in the Surge Radio studio, where I am the Head of News. Also, as I'm new to twitter and desperate, follow me!! @95moliver