Galloway Threatens Legal Action Over Election Result

0

Former Bradford West MP and Leader of the Respect Party George Galloway has said he is starting legal action over his defeat in the General Election last week.

Galloway, who first won the Bradford West seat in a by-election in 2012, was defeated by the Labour candidate Naz Shah, who won with a majority of more than 11,000 after a campaign marred by a feud between the two candidates mainly relating to Shah’s family background, which was described by the Labour candidate as “”the dirtiest campaign this democracy has ever seen.

Galloway said in a statement:

“It has come to my notice that there has been widespread malpractice in this election, particularly over postal voting. We are in the process of compiling the information which will form part of our petition to have the result set aside.”

A Labour Party spokesman accused Mr Galloway of being pathetic, adding “George Galloway should accept he was booted out by the people of Bradford West. They saw through his divisive politics and made a positive choice, by a majority of well over 11,000, to elect a brilliant new MP, Naz Shah”.

Deputy Editor 2017-18, International Editor 2015-17. Languages student adjusting to being back in the UK after a year in Chile. Interested in Latin America, world news, media and politics.