BREAKING: SUSU Provide Cost Breakdown of Grad Ball 2015

Union President David Mendoza-Wolfson has provided a cost breakdown of this years’ Graduation Ball, held at Oceana on Monday 8th June.

This year, over £100,000 has been spent on the event:

over £78,000 has been spent on the acts (this year includes S Club,  B*Witched, and Labrinth among others), £4,500 on the fairground attraction, £3,000 on staff and technical equipment, £5,000 for the car-parking hire from the landlords and £6,000 on decorating the venue. The Union has omitted information regarding the cost to hire the venue, popular nightclub Oceana.

In his blog post, Mendoza-Wolfson apologised for the lack of a Graduation Ball committee this year and said that the Union will be looking into carrying out a consultation with 2016 graduates so that they can decide what they really want from their Graduation Ball.

The Graduation Ball has been highly controversial this year, with more and more students voicing their concerns over the extortionate cost, but with nothing much to show for it but disappointing acts in a sub-par location. This has lead to an increase in students buying tickets for alternative events, such as Escape to the Country and the Pim Sessions Boat Party.

Due to this controversy, Mendoza-Wolfson has stated that he will provide a Q&A session in The Bridge (SUSU) tomorrow from 3pm to answer any student questions. More information about this can be found here.

News Editor for the Wessex Scene 2013 - 2015. I lead the news section, consistently providing the website with up-to-date news content. I am experienced in researching, reporting, writing and editing breaking news stories.

Aw now I wouldn’t say that ‘tab lyf’. If SUSU publish a blog then both outlets are entitled to produce content out of it, especially if it is big news. They published it about an hour before we did, and well done to them for getting it out so quickly.