Jamie Oliver to Open New Restaurant in Southampton

Chef Jamie Oliver has confirmed that he will be opening his first restaurant in Southampton as part of the Watermark Westquay leisure development.

‘Jamie’s Italian’, a brand which has already expanded across the UK, joins a number of other restaurants that have already confirmed they will be part of the leisure complex, including Wahaca, Five Guys, Zizzi’s and Nando’s.

The restaurant will occupy a 5100 sq ft unit within the development and serve a range of ‘rustic Italian food’, with an outside area of terraced seating in the public square surrounding the site.

The 'Watermark WestQuay' leisure development currently under construction in the city centre (Image: Southampton City Council)
The ‘Watermark WestQuay’ leisure development currently under construction in the city centre (Image: Southampton City Council)

Oliver’s last restaurant to be opened in Hampshire was ‘Union Jacks’, which was located in nearby Winchester. The business closed last year after just two years in operation due to the ‘challenging’ economic conditions.

Hammerson, the developers of the Watermark Westquay site, have confirmed that ‘Bill’s Resturant’ will also occupy one of the units in another first for Southampton. The restaurant will serve a ‘breakfast to bedtime’ menu incorporating a wide range of food.

The managing director of Bill’s Restaurant, Roberto Moretti, told the Daily Echo:

“It’s very exciting to be part of this new destination and to be opening a restaurant in Southampton, and we are looking forward to bringing great Bill’s food, atmosphere and service to the party.”

The Watermark development, which is next to the West Quay shopping centre, is currently on schedule to be completed in late 2016.

The development is intended to become a new leisure hub for Southampton and will include a 10 screen multiplex cinema as well as up to 20 restaurants and cafes.

International Editor 2015-17. Third year French & Spanish student currently spending a year studying abroad in Concepción, Chile. Interested in media and world news.