University of Southampton Among Top 15 in Guardian 2016 University Guide

The University of Southampton has established its position amongst the UK’s top 15 Universities by placing 14th overall in The Guardian’s 2016 University Guide, rising five places from last year. This follows the University’s rise to 14th in another recent table published by the Complete University Guide last month, beating York and Birmingham.

Southampton, one of the founding institutions of the Russell Group, is also celebrating after achieving two number one ratings in The Guardian’s subject tables. For the fifth time in seven years the Southampton has come first for Electrical and Electronic Engineering, achieving 100%, and additionally has also come first for Media and Film Studies at 100%, rising from 9th place last year.

Image credit:

This result has led Southampton to overtake fellow Russell Group Universities Edinburgh and York.

The top ten subject rankings at the University of Southampton are:

• Electrical and Electronic Engineering – 1st – from 2nd last year, 100%
  • Media & Film Studies – 1st – 9th last year
  • Education – 3rd – 10th last year
  • Civil Engineering – 4th – 5th last year
  • Mechanical Engineering – 4th – 2nd last year, but has been in the top 10 in the Guardian for the 11th consecutive year for Mechanical Engineering
  • English & Creative Writing – 5th – 10th last year and 19th the previous year
  • Computer Science & Information Systems – 7th –  8th last year
  • Modern Languages & Linguistics – 8th – Has been in the top 10 in the Guardian for the 10th consecutive year
  • Fashion & Textiles – 8th – 9th last year following the previous year in which it came 25th
  • Philosophy – 8th – 18th last year
  • Health Professions – 10th – 17th Last year
  • Music – 10th – 20th last year
  • Psychology – 10th – 13th last year

This shows a significant recovery for Southampton, having dropped from 14th to 20th between 2012 and 2014. However, Southampton also recently fell from 14th to 18th out of 113 universities in The Times Higher Education‘s Student Satisfaction survey rankings, with an overall rating falling from 80.6 to 79.3.

The full Guardian list can be found here.

News Editor 2015/16. Philosophy and Politics student. Opinionated activist with a questionable sense of humour. Left Wing, Critique of the Status Quo and diplomatic debater who loves writing for you!