University Road Cycling Club to Perform Charity 48-Hour Marathon in Aid of Nepal

The University of Southampton’s Road Cycling Club (SURC) is hoping to raise money for Oxfam’s Nepal Appeal through a grueling 48-hour non-stop ‘rollathon’ marathon on Friday 29th May.

The event will take place on the concourse outside the SUSU building. It is scheduled to start at midday on the 29th May and will end at the same time on 31st May. The aim of the challenge is to collectively cycle the distance from Southampton to Kathmandu, about 8848km, in 48 hours on stationary ‘rollers’. These eight sets of rollers will constantly be moving throughout the course of the marathon by its alternating riders.

The SURC have encouraged all kinds of students to take part in the event and is not exclusive to members of the University’s Road Cycling Club – a quarter of the participants include those who have never ridden on rollers before. Participants are expected to cycle between 1 hour to 15 hours over the weekend.

The event hopes to attract a large crowd, where there will be music, lights, food and drinks provided to keep everyone going throughout the night.

Becky Bellworthy, President of Southampton University’s Road Cycling Club said:

I was particularly affected by the earthquakes in Nepal as I have many friends there having spent my gap year there – several of whom died. SURC wanted to do a fundraiser for Nepal and some brainstorming over breakfast at SURC HQ produced this idea of the rollathon to Nepal.

“We have set a target of raising £500 but hope it to be much higher than this. It is a really ambitious idea, but the committee have been fantastic at pulling together and organizing this event, I can’t thank them enough.”

If you are interested in supporting the cause and donating, visit the link here.

For more information on SURC and the event, please click here.

News Editor for the Wessex Scene 2013 - 2015. I lead the news section, consistently providing the website with up-to-date news content. I am experienced in researching, reporting, writing and editing breaking news stories.