Lib Dem Leadership Debate Comes to Campus

A debate will take place on campus on Friday 12th June between the candidates running for the Liberal Democrat leadership.

Since Nick Clegg resigned on May 8th, only two candidates have declared they are running for leader –  Tim Farron, and, Norman Lamb – who will both be at the event. They will debate between 7pm and 10pm in Garden Court, Building 40.

The debate is ran by Southampton University Debating Society, and will be live-blogged by Wessex Scene, and streamed by SUSUtv. Doors open at 7pm, where the audience will be able to talk to the candidates and other attendees, from 7.30pm there will be a formal debate followed by questions from the audience. From 9pm- 10pm there will be another Q+A session, with only Lib Dem members in attendance. Students can join the party for £1 here. 

Tim Farron is currently the bookies favourite to win the leadership with odds at 1/7 to be next leader. Norman Lamb is second favourite with odds of 4/1. The new leader will take over under difficult conditions, following Lib Dems losing 49 of their 57 seats at the General Election, including many senior figures in the party losing to SNP and Conservative rivals.

Editor 2015-16. Politics Editor 2014-15. Third year Politics and Economics student, I've written for every section but primarily write politics, opinion and news pieces. I also write for The Edge, Kettle Mag, The National Student, The Student Times and the Independent and do lots of work with Surge Radio.