Two Members of University Community Honoured

Two members of the University community have been honoured in this year’s Queen’s Birthday Honours list.

Professor Jane Falkingham

Professor Jane Falkingham, Dean of the Faculty of Social and Human Sciences, has been appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) for her services to the social sciences.

Her research has centered around population change, ageing and the well-being of sections of society. She was made the Dean of the Faculty in January 2014 after joining the University in 2002 and spending over three years as the head of Social Sciences. Her role includes the directorship of the ESRC Centre for Population Change which she founded in 2009.

Professor Jane Falkingham told the Wessex Scene:

“I am absolutely thrilled and see this as a reward for a wonderful team effort. I have had the opportunity to work with fantastic colleagues and students since arriving at Southampton in 2002, and am honoured to share this award with them all.”

“Southampton now has the largest (and the best!) group of population scientists in the UK and the only BSc in Population & Geography. I am proud to be associated with training the next generation of demographers who are changing the world for the better.”

Captain Robin Plumley

Additionally Captain Robin Plumley, a Research Ship Manager based at the National Oceanography Centre, has been made a Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) for his services to Marine Science.

His role entails looking after the research vessels used by the NOC and in his time he has served as commanding officer for the research vessels Charles DarwinChallengerDiscovery and the James Cook. Prior to this, he served on several vessels belonging to the British Antarctic Survey going back to the 1970s.

The pair join the 1161 other people honoured, including Kevin Spacey, Lenny Henry and Van Morrison. You can read more on who has been honoured from the entertainment world at The Edge. The Wessex Scene congratulate all those who have received honours and will update this article as reactions emerge to the news.

You can see the list of people here

History student and passionate writer about everything connected to Southampton and its rich tapestry of stories and history. Due to an unfortunate case of graduation, this writer is no longer active.