349 Student Flats Planned for Portswood

Developer Orchard Homes has revealed plans for a 349 flat complex of student residences near the site of the Sainsbury’s supermarket on Portwood Road.

If approved, construction of the £20 million complex could start early next year ready to welcome it’s first residents in 2017.

The plans, which will be submitted to the city council later this year, propose the construction of three buildings varying between four and six stories in height on the site of the former Portswood Bus Depot at the junction of Portswood Road and Belmont Road. The buildings would be no higher than the Sainsbury’s supermarket next door, and would reduce in size to four stories nearer Belmont Road. Orchard Homes said it hopes a ‘significant number’ of the flats would be occupied by postgraduate students.

The flats will be located on the junction of Portwood Road and Belmont Road (Image: Google Maps)

The managing director of Orchard Homes, Ken Lake, told the Daily Echo:

“The location of the halls of residence at the heart of Portswood is ideal in terms of access to the Highfield campus, shops and bus routes. The halls will be of sufficient size to provide on-site amenities and 24 hour management by staff.

“We are aware that since 2002 student numbers in Southampton have increased by 6,500, and this growth has outpaced new student accommodation. This development helps provide much needed bed spaces relieving pressure on the local community.”

However, concerns have been raised about parking for the residents of such a large complex. Portswood councillor Matthew Claisse said he would be interested to see how parking would work if residents of the proposed complex brought cars, highlighting the fact that there are already parking issues in surrounding streets.

The plans for the complex will be shown at a public exhibition from 4-8pm on July 6th at Highfield House Hotel.

International Editor 2015-17. Third year French & Spanish student currently spending a year studying abroad in Concepción, Chile. Interested in media and world news.