UK Graduates Employed in Jobs Where Degrees Are Not Required

A recent survey has found that more than half of UK graduates are working in a job they believe does not even require a degree.

The UK Graduate Employment Survey carried out by the Accenture Strategy polled 1,000 students graduating in 2015 and another 1,000 who graduated in 2013 and 2014.

About 60% of the 2013/2014 graduates believe they were under-employed or working in a job that does not require a degree. In contrast, 77% of this year’s graduates believe their education has adequately prepared them for the world of work, although it is still early days for the 2015 graduates who may be naively optimistic. However, Payal Vasudeva, managing director of the Accenture Strategy, believes this is due to this year’s graduates being highly resourceful in making themselves relevant to employers.

She told The Independent;

“They expect good work opportunities and employer provided training, but many remain underemployed and dissatisfied with their work situation.

“As a result, a large number aim to return to university or college to position themselves for better jobs.”

However, just 16% of 2015 graduates expect to earn £19,000 per year or less in their first job, a quarter the of 2013 and 2014 graduates, but they currently have an income in that range.

72% of 2015 graduates said they expect to find full-time work, but only 58% of 2013 and 2014 graduates say they have full time employment.

Four out of five 2015 graduates claim to have considered job availability in their desired field before choosing their university degree course, but just over half of 2013 and 2014 graduates are currently working in their chosen field.

In order to get a job in their field, 28% of 2015 graduates said they’d look abroad for employment, while just 19% of their 2013/14 counterparts said they would do the same.

Despite 40% of the 2015 graduates claiming they would take up an unpaid internship if a job was not available, Ms Vasudeva issued a stark warning to companies: “Employers who fail to create career development programs and a clear path for advancement are missing a tremendous opportunity to attract and retain top talent.”

News Editor 2015/16. Philosophy and Politics student. Opinionated activist with a questionable sense of humour. Left Wing, Critique of the Status Quo and diplomatic debater who loves writing for you!