Council Introduces ‘People’s Panel’ to Influence Decision Making

Councillors in Southampton City Council have launched an appeal for residents to join a panel and help influence decisions in the Southampton.

In a show of direct democracy, the ‘People’s Panel‘ uses the opinions of members, the Council and Southampton City Clinical Commissioning Group to inform residents how public services are run. It includes online surveys and polls, with the results used and evaluated by both the Council and the Commissioning Group before decisions are made.

Hundreds of residents have already signed up to take part in the People’s Panel but more are hoping to be recruited. The People’s Panel could also be of great value to students.

Council Leader Simon Letts said:

This is a new way for everybody who cares about Southampton to get involved in the decisions that will shape and influence our city in the future. I want as many people as possible to join the People’s Panel and help us make the right decisions for Southampton.

Anyone aged over 18 can join the panel. If you are interested in signing up or find out more, click here.

News Editor 2015/16. Philosophy and Politics student. Opinionated activist with a questionable sense of humour. Left Wing, Critique of the Status Quo and diplomatic debater who loves writing for you!