The Price of Food and Drink from the Union has Increased

Students returning to the University in September may be in for a nasty shock when they buy food from parts of SUSU. In an inflation-busting price increase, the price of some food and drink will have increased – most notably Stag’s Pizza, up to £5.50 from the previous £4.95.

The negligible levels of inflation nationally seemingly haven’t been factored in to SUSU’s latest budget for the year, with regards to food and drink. As well as Stag’s pizza, other items such as toasties and even pots of tea from the Bridge haven’t escaped the latest price rises, which came into effect on the 1st of August.

Wessex Scene caught up with Ben Franklin, the Union President, to find out what he thought of the price rises, and why they have come into effect. This is what he had to say:

This is because of the costs from suppliers rising, and I promise it wasn’t decided to try to fleece students – the Union has absorbed the increasing costs of production for the last few years to try not to have to do this, and it sucks that sometimes we have to put our costs up to create a sustainable service.

It seems then that those gloriously cheap pub nights will become that little bit more expensive for the foreseeable future, although our President assures us that a slight rise in cost is a small price to pay for the continuation of the wondrous nourishment that is the Stag’s pizza:

Hopefully, the extra 50p won’t be much of an inconvenience to guarantee that we can continue to offer pizza in The Stags, and we can remember the ‘good old days’ of pizza for a fiver while tucking into a warm slice of pepperoni while watching karaoke or sport, content in the knowledge that it was 50p extra well spent.

Despite these price increases, 2-for-1 Stag’s Pizza on Sunday nights has been continued for this year.

Deputy Editor of the Wessex Scene for 2015/16. I often write News, Politics and Opinion pieces. As well as writing for the Scene I can be found in the Surge Radio studio, where I am the Head of News. Also, as I'm new to twitter and desperate, follow me!! @95moliver

£5.50 for a Stags pizza is ridiculous. You can buy a nicer Pizza Express pizza from Sainsbury’s for about £2.50 when they’re on offer. (Or £4 normal price, but they’re on offer about half the time anyway.)

Why not just stock up on them? You could make a comfortable profit selling those for a fiver, and as they’re nicer more people would probably buy them.

Oh yes because when you’re out in The Stag’s you suddenly want to
    – Walk down to Sainsburys (15 mins)
    – Buy your pizza (5+ mins)
    – Walk to your nearest oven [home] (5-20 mins)
    – Cook your pizza (15 mins)
    – Go back to The Stag’s

You pay for convenience by not having to go elsewhere for food more than anything else.

Well…yes, and Dominos charge £11 for a similarly sized Hawaiian. Equally you could buy your own flour and toppings and it’ll probably cost you 50p.

I take it you’re not an Economics student?

I thought this was obvious, but apparently not… I meant that as in why don’t SUSU stock up on cheap Pizza Express pizzas, and then cook them and sell them (at a profit) for under a fiver at the Stags.

Because they still have to pay someone to go and get the pizzas, which requires wages & transport costs (fuel and vehicle insurance), pay for the staff to cook the pizza and pay for the oven (which includes capital costs and maintenance, fuel etc), pay for staff to take the pizza to the customer when it’s finished, pay for staff to wash the pizza tray up so on and so forth

OK then Captain Pedantic, lets work this out:

Lets be pessimistic and assume that we can’t stock up for more than a week at a time, and that it takes a full hour (~£7 staff costs) and £3 worth of fuel every time. That’s £10 per week.

Bringing out the pizzas / cleaning the trays etc. is just basic bar work that would be included in a typical shift anyway, therefore no extra cost compared to not having pizzas at all. In the unlikely event enough pizzas are being ordered that an extra member of staff is needed especially to cope with the extra demand, that would just prove that it’s worth doing because of the extra people that it would bring in (who obviously don’t exclusively buy pizzas, so you’d recoup the staff costs by making more money from the extra drinks etc. that would be sold.)

I have no idea how much oven maintenance costs, but lets again be pessimistic and assume that the poor SUSU oven takes so much abuse that it needs to be replaced with a brand new one every year. According to Google, an ‘Lincat Electric Pizza Oven LPO’ which can cook 7 pizzas at a time can be purchased for just under £300. Given that we have 30 weeks of term time per year, that works out as about another £10 per week over the year.

That means that even with pessimistic assumptions, you’d only need to make £20 per week (on top of the cost of the pizzas themselves) to break even. Being pessimistic again, lets assume that the Pizza Express pizzas are never on offer again, so they have to be purchased at £4 each every single time, giving only £1 profit on each pizza sold for a fiver. Even in this extremely pessimistic scenario, you’d only need to sell about 3 pizzas a night for it to be viable. That sounds perfectly reasonable to me.