A Level Results Day 2015 Sees Record Number of University Places

Students across the UK are receiving their A Level results today, as universities open their doors to a record number of students. Although the proportion of top grades has fallen slightly, a record number of students have achieved a place to study at university.

UCAS, the lead application admission service for UK students, reported that 409,000 places had been confirmed, which represents a 3% rise on 2014.

Meanwhile, the percentage of A*- A grades awarded to entries stood at 25.9%, a 0.1% decrease on last year.

Schools minister Nick Gibb praised the government’s incentive to boost ‘core academic subjects.

As a result thousands more pupils, from all backgrounds, are studying subjects that will secure them a place at a top university or an apprenticeship and that will help to secure well paid employment.

The exam boards, who came under scrutiny earlier in the month after a leading representative admitted that hundreds of grades are made up every year, reported that the number of A Levels sat rose to over 850,000. Maths, English and Biology were the most popular subjects, whilst subjects such as Music and German suffered from decline.

Twitter was also awash with prospective students this morning, celebrating and commiserating in equal fashion. The rise in social media usage has seen universities showing their support on Facebook, Twitter and other platforms.

Clearing is also underway for students who failed to achieve the grades required to attain a confirmed place. The process carries on into the weekend, as students attempt to secure themselves a place at an institution of their choice.

News Editor 2015/16