New Job Market Figures Offer Positive Signs For 2015 Graduates

New figures show a 77% growth in job vacancies during the second quarter of 2015, offering promising signs for those who have just graduated and are searching for employment.

The figures, which were released by employment website, show some new trends, including an 85% increase in the number of graduates applying for apprenticeships. The research also shows an increase in the average starting salary for graduates, which now stands at £26,179.

The growth in job vacancies is spread across multiple sectors of the economy; the areas with the most vacancies include recruitment consultancy, sales, education, technology and marketing/PR. Accountancy graduates can expect to earn the most when entering employment, with an average starting salary of £39,903 per annum. Engineers and developers can also expect to have higher than average starting salaries after graduating.

Regionally, the South East of England has the highest proportion of vacancies for graduates, whilst the number of vacancies available has also grown in the West Midlands, East Midlands and North West. According to the Job Index, the industries with the highest annual employment growth for graduates are motoring and automotive,  construction and property .

James Reed, chairman of, commented:

For the thousands of graduates entering the job market for the first time, prospects look bright this year with more job opportunities and more attractive pay packages. Surprisingly, a notable feature of the latest Reed Job Index points towards a surge in graduate applications for advertised apprenticeships.

Apprenticeships are clearly a practical and valuable route gaining work experience and learning new skills. For employers operating in sectors particularly affected by skills shortages, such as Engineering, Technology and Manufacturing, they are also an effective route to attracting top talent and creating a skilled, home grown workforce.

International Editor 2015-17. Third year French & Spanish student currently spending a year studying abroad in Concepción, Chile. Interested in media and world news.