University Health Service Told To Improve Safety

University Health Service has been told that it needs to improve patient safety after an inspection by the Care Quality Commission (CQC).

The surgery, which is located on Highfield Campus, was judged as good in being effective, caring, responsive and well led, but inspectors said that improvements need to be made to protect patient safety.

The CQC’s report said that although staff were aware of their responsibilities to report any incidents or near misses and raise any concerns they may have, reviews and investigations were not sufficiently thorough and any lessons learned were not explained widely enough.

The report said:

Although some risks to patients who used services were assessed, the systems and processes to address these risks were not implemented well enough to ensure patients were kept safe.

Areas of concern included recruitment checks, infection control and emergency medicine management.

The surgery must now ensure that full recruitment checks are completed on staff. It must also ensure that all emergency medicines available are fit for use and within the expiry date.

The CQC also told the surgery that it should develop and put into place effective systems to prevent and control infection,  as well as carrying out staff appraisals in a timely manner and ensuring that surgery policies are up to date.

The surgery was rated as good by various groups within the local population, including the elderly, children and those with long term conditions.

International Editor 2015-17. Third year French & Spanish student currently spending a year studying abroad in Concepción, Chile. Interested in media and world news.