Donation Point For Refugee Crisis Organised On Campus

Students have organised a donation point on campus for goods and supplies that can be used to help refugees travelling across Europe.

The donation drop off point is located in 58/1035 (Murray Building), and will be open from 10am-4pm most days during the two weeks. The group behind the project, Southampton Action – People to People Solidarity, has organised similar collections across the city. The collection point on campus will be one of the main locations, opening every day of the week.

Any items donated will be sent to a variety of charities that help and support refugees located across Europe – places that the donations will be used include Calais, Kos, Hungary, Germany and Austria.

Bekk Escott, who helped organise the donation point, said:

We wanted to make a real difference in the lives of the refugees in Calais and further across Europe, so we set up drop off locations for donations from the public across Southampton.

These people are humans and families much like are own. We are in a position where we can help these people who in desperate need, and show the compassion that is obviously high in our community.

The donation point will be open until 20th September. More information about the times it will be open and items that you can donate can be found on the Facebook event.

International Editor 2015-17. Third year French & Spanish student currently spending a year studying abroad in Concepción, Chile. Interested in media and world news.