Southampton Rises in Global University Rankings

The University of Southampton has risen 13 places [from 94th to 81st]in the 2015 QS World University Rankings, firmly consolidating the institution’s spot in the top 100 universities across the globe.

Southampton, which prides itself as a world leader in engineering and computer science amongst others, rose in the rankings due to considerable improvements in staff to student ratios along with an improved reputation amongst academics and students worldwide.

The Russell Group University also rose to 14th in both the Complete University Guide UK Rankings and the Guardian Rankings in 2015, movements which will help to attract the brightest students from across the globe. Vice Chancellor Don Nutbeam said

This ranking confirms the University of Southampton’s position amongst the world’s top 100 universities and provides evidence of our status as a truly global institution. We have shown consistent and continual improvement in all of the national and international University league tables.  This improvement of 13 places in the QS rankings demonstrates recognition of our excellence in education and research by our peers and employers around the world. It is due reward for the excellent work of all our staff and students.

Departments across the subject spectrum featured in the top 100 globally, including Geography, Physics and Astronomy, English Literature and Earth  and Marine Sciences.

The QS rankings are one of a small number of internationally renowned barometers of excellence within teaching, research and academic reputation.

News Editor 2015/16