Princess Anne Visiting Southampton to Unveil New University Research Centre

Princess Anne is coming to Southampton to officially open Boldrewood Campus, the University of Southampton’s new £36 million maritime research centre.

Princess Anne will also be visiting 17 Port and Maritime Regiment Royal Logistic Corps to present Meritous Service Medals at the Sea Mounting Centre, and McMullen Barracks in Marchwood.

Plans to turn Boldrewood campus into a research centre for innovation, business and education were made earlier this year, which university staff hope could provide ground-breaking research after its completion planned for 2017.

Boldrewood campus is the centre for the faculty of engineering and environment and Southampton Marine and Maritime Institute, as well as Lloyd’s Register’s Global Technology Centre.

The construction of the new campus itself was a joint venture between the University itself and Lloyd’s Register, who have worked hard on research projects for marine engineering and engineering sciences for over 40 years.

Professor William Powrie, Dean of the Faculty of Engineering and the Environment, said:

The building will replace and enhance facilities in vital infrastructure research and teaching currently based on Highfield Campus. The addition of the new building will make this a flagship campus for the university and for the region in terms of its capacity to make major advances at national and international levels in engineering projects aligned to areas of infrastructure and rail transport – a major area of expertise and specialism for Southampton.

When it is completed the centre will have an anechoic wind chamber, advanced fluid dynamics, experimental facilities, and a 140 meter towing tank which will be used for civil engineering, aerospace and new maritime technologies.

News Editor 2015/16. Philosophy and Politics student. Opinionated activist with a questionable sense of humour. Left Wing, Critique of the Status Quo and diplomatic debater who loves writing for you!