University and SUSU Launch Free Winchester Shuttle Bus

Southampton University Student’s Union have been working with the University to launch a free shuttle bus to take students from Winchester School of Art (WSA) to Highfield Interchange.

It will launch in Freshers’ week to make travel cheaper, easier and quicker for students at the site, as well as helping to increase engagement and make the Highfield campus more accessible to WSA students.

The service is free to use, but students will be required to present their ID cards before travelling. The buses will be able to carry 15 students at a time and have full disabled access.

One of the vehicles used to run the service.

A blue Ford Transit Van will provide the service, which will run on weekdays from 8am on a 2 hour loop starting with departures by the WSA carpark, and will finish at 11pm at Highfield Interchange.

Vice-President Student Communities Anjit Aulakh, who campaigned for the shuttle bus, said:

It’s a massive step forward in the engagement with students at WSA. Now the geographical distance will no longer be the reason to hold students back from getting involved with the Students’ Union.

Newly Elected Communities Student Groups Representative Rebecca Lake told Wessex Scene:

This is hugely exciting – I have been working with Anjit and other sabbatical officers to improve the experience of Winchester School of Art students, particularly in relation to society involvement and inclusion. This shuttlebus will allow this to go much more smoothly and will also allow Highfield-based societies to travel to WSA, which is important and necessary. I know other Zone Student Groups Representatives are also pleased with this.

Check out the SUSU Blog post here. Full details of the shuttle bus timetable can be found here.