Rush Anticipated as Southampton Branch of BHS Closes Its Doors

A British Homes Store in a prime retail location will be closing its doors after 75 years of successful transactions.

The Daily Echo has revealed that the outlet will be shutting in early 2016 and is expected to put over 60 jobs at risk.

However, the site is not expected to be vacant for long as its location along the Southampton shopping thoroughfare is ideal. City Councillor John Noon highlighted the highly anticipated Watermark development in West Quay as an example of the prosperous retail situation within the city.

Like lots of people I’m quite disappointed about [the closure]and it’s quite unexpected. But it’s a prime site and I feel it’s not going to be closed for long. There’s a change in the shape of the city with Watermark and it’s an exciting time for the commercial elements of the city centre.

Above Bar Street is considered a crucial area of retail, with Topshop, Primark and New Look all maintaining outlets along the stretch. Noon believes this will also help to attract potential investors.

I am quite certain that there will be a pile of retailers queueing up to move in and it’ll be interesting to see which people are interested in the site.

However, Hampshire Chamber of Commerce chief Stewart Dunn spoke of his worry that many retail stores are beginning to struggle against the strength of online sales.

Potential investors in the site have yet to be confirmed.

News Editor 2015/16