Two-thirds of Students Drop Extra-Curricular Activities in Favour of Studying

Students are finding their work-life balance tougher than ever according to new research from 

The study found two thirds of students aged 14 t0 21 drop extra-curricular activities to make time for study, and three quarters of girls find it ‘impossible’ to do sport due to their academic workload. 

The research also showed that 20% of female students, and 15% of male students have taken medication – such as caffeine pills or a herbal remedy –  to copy with study stress.

The study also found that 72% of students reported feeling pressure from teachers and parents to drop their extra curricular hobbies in order to perform better academically.

The research also shows that female students are feeling the pressure more so than their male counterparts. 69% of girls feel their academic workload prevents them from doing sports, 28% more so than male students.

Peter Langley, founder of Get Revising, said:

Despite the obvious health and social benefits of extra-curricular activities, students are facing increased pressure to meet coursework deadlines and prepare for exams, leaving little or no time for sport or clubs outside the classroom. Whilst it’s crucial to achieve good grades, students need a well rounded education, and this means making hobbies and skills – like sport, art and music – a priority in their timetable. Not only will these skills be a huge boost for their CV and future employability, learning to balance their workload is a life skill that stand them in good stead for the rest of their lives.

Danny Ramasawmy, who graduated with a Masters in Aeronautics and Astronautics at Southampton last year said:

I had to give up football because engineering took up so much time, and I didn’t have much time to join as many societies as I hoped. I got a job as a student ambassador for the Uni but had to turn down a lot of shifts because I has so many lectures. In ended up spending so much time on campus and  gave up cooking dinner.

While its important to maintain your grades, leading employers are valuing work experience (including within clubs and societies) more than ever.  If you’re struggling with balancing your academia with society work contact SUSU’s advice centre or talk to your academic tutor for advice.

Editor 2015-16. Politics Editor 2014-15. Third year Politics and Economics student, I've written for every section but primarily write politics, opinion and news pieces. I also write for The Edge, Kettle Mag, The National Student, The Student Times and the Independent and do lots of work with Surge Radio.