Fire At Mayflower Halls


Nearly 40 residents, many on their first night in halls, were evacuated from Mayflower Halls last night following a kitchen fire. 

The fire alarm sounded at 11.22pm last night, and crews from St. Mary’s fire station attended the scene. The fire came from a ground floor flat in the complex’s C block. It believed to have started from a toaster.


No damage was caused, and there have been no injuries.

Crew manager Martyn Edmiston said

We gave advice to students and spoke to the wardens. She was in the room at the time and she did the right thing by shutting the doors and leaving the room. But we remind people not to leave electrical appliances unattended.

While false alarms are common in halls, especially during Freshers’ week, it is unusual for the fire brigade to be called.

Wessex Scene will keep you updated as this story develops. 


Editor 2015-16. Politics Editor 2014-15. Third year Politics and Economics student, I've written for every section but primarily write politics, opinion and news pieces. I also write for The Edge, Kettle Mag, The National Student, The Student Times and the Independent and do lots of work with Surge Radio.

Comments are closed.