These Are The Top Banks For Student Satisfaction

Only 1 in 3 students are extremely satisfied with their bank, according to new research by student money site ‘Save the Student’ .

1 in 3 students score their bank 9 out of 10 or higher for satisfaction, the majority of students not changing banks before University, meaning they miss out on key student deals.

NatWest topped Save The Student’s survey of banks, scoring an average satisfaction rating of 6.7 out of 10. While NatWest topped the table, Santander remains the most popular bank for students.  Santander, was named best value student account  by Save the Student this year.

Top 5 banks for overall student satisfaction (based on score out of 10)

1. NatWest (6.7)
  2. Santander (6.65)
  3. RBS (6.64)
  4. The Co-operative Bank (6.47)
  5. Halifax (6.2)
The average student is short £265 a month after their maintenance loan come in, hence an interest-free overdraft plays a key role in many students lives. However, a third of students don’t have a student account, hence miss out on the free overdraft.  Only 1 in 5 are currently looking to switch their account.
Students listed their top 5 reasons for choosing an account as:- ‘already banked here’ (54%), 0% overdraft (41%), friends or family banked here (36%), freebies or discounts (33%) and online or smartphone access (28%).

Editor 2015-16. Politics Editor 2014-15. Third year Politics and Economics student, I've written for every section but primarily write politics, opinion and news pieces. I also write for The Edge, Kettle Mag, The National Student, The Student Times and the Independent and do lots of work with Surge Radio.