Hampshire Residents, Be Warned – False Widow Spiders Are On The Rampage

Britain’s most venomous spiders are on the move again after recent mild weather and, according to experts, Southern homes are at the biggest risk of invasion.

The False Widow Spider, a distant cousin of the revered Black Widow, first established itself on the south coast of the UK, but has gradually been spreading north over the past 25 years. If left untreated, a bite from the creature can be fatal.

According to experts, current conditions are ideal for the spiders to live and breed inside homes.

Clive Boase, pest management consultant explained mild weather has caused them to move inside sooner

They love conservatories and toilet blocks, window frames, porches, lofts and garages and they like to live beneath kitchen appliances and cupboards

They are generally shy creatures and won’t come out into the open but they could crawl into curtains or perhaps clothing left on the floor.

There have been a number of stories across the country about the consequences of a bite from the False Widow, which, despite its potentially lethal venom, has not yet caused any direct fatalities.

Dealing with any unwanted visitors is a difficult process, according to the head of the Technical Training Academy at Rentokil Pest Control, David Cross.

Male house spiders leave their webs and enter homes in the late summer and autumn months to look for breeding partners. As spiders are able to squeeze themselves through tiny gaps and holes, it’s impossible to completely proof your house against them, but of course, closing doors and windows will help keep them at bay.

News Editor 2015/16