University Challenge Try-Outs to Be Held On Campus

Do you want to meet Jeremy Paxman and represent Southampton on TV?

Tryouts for the BBC quiz show, University Challenge are taking place on campus next week. The current team are trying to better their previous results after losing their first round match to St. Catharine’s College, Cambridge. However, they are among the quiz shows ‘highest scoring losers’  (scoring an impressive, 135) so may progress to win.

Two years ago, Southampton progressed to the quarter-finals.

Tricia Goggin, the captain of the 2015 team is a second year PhD student, studying Biomedical Engineering. Says her and her team mates (William Cable, History MA, Rowland Sadler, Biological Sciences 3rd Year, and Sarah Stock, Chemistry 3rd Year) are hoping to better the team from 2013-14.

130 universities applied for the original team and 28 were chosen for the series.  Goggin says:

It was a great experience and amazing to get to do something that has long been an ambition of mine.  It’s very competitive but we met a lot of friendly teams and it was great to see ‘behind the scenes’.  We were all fairly nervous at the start but as soon as the music starts you get into it and forget about the cameras.

I’d encourage students from ALL subjects and levels to try-out.  A good team needs a balance of academic disciplines as well as some esoteric knowledge from its members. Horrible Histories came up as one of our picture rounds and I don’t think they are on the University syllabus yet! A person’s hobbies and interests can often give them a valuable fund of answers.  Anyone who is registered as a student,  pursuing a recognized qualification and will be a student for the rest of this academic year can apply.

The team are planning to hold two rounds of selection, the first a written test and the second a quick-fire question round.  The dates for the first round are

• Tuesday 27th at 13.00 in the Students’ Union building
  • Wednesday 28th at 13.00 and 14.00 in the Students’ Union building
  • Thursday 29th at 17.30 in the Students’ Union building
  • Friday 30th at 13.00 at Southampton General Hospital

There is also a  Facebook group where all information can be posted. If you’d like to try out but you’re unable to make the above times, contact Tricia via the above Facebook group.

Editor 2015-16. Politics Editor 2014-15. Third year Politics and Economics student, I've written for every section but primarily write politics, opinion and news pieces. I also write for The Edge, Kettle Mag, The National Student, The Student Times and the Independent and do lots of work with Surge Radio.