Are you ready for a night out with the lights out?

Remember, remember… Friday 13th November. Blackout is back for a fourth year!
Southampton’s Blackout is the biggest energy saving event of its kind in the UK higher education sector, with over 200 people expected to be involved on the night.
Blackout this year is bigger than ever, with events being held at Highfield, Avenue & Boldrewood campuses, Winchester School of Art and parts of Southampton General Hospital.
The event highlights the significant financial and environmental impact that we can all have on energy consumption. By undertaking simple everyday actions – such as turning off the computers and other unnecessary electrical items at the end of each day – last year the university saved enough energy to power five family homes for a whole year. Those were savings over just one weekend so imagine what these savings would be if that was repeated every week!
If you need any more convincing there will be over 100 free pizzas (YES, ONE HUNDRED PIZZAS!) for those who volunteered at the exclusive after-party in the bridge.
Time is running out for this annual event, to get involved make sure you sign up here by this Friday (6th November) so as not to miss out!
More articles in Southampton guide to Sustainability
  1. Are you ready for a night out with the lights out?
  2. The Southampton Student Sustainable Seafood Guide!
  3. Making a Smaller Hole in Both the Planet and your Wallet: The Southampton Student Guide to Sustainability.