Voodoo Nightclub to Be Transformed into Student Flats

Fondly remembered as the place to go on Friday nights, the now-disused Voodoo nightclub is subject to a plan submitted by a property developer to redevelop the site into a block of flats.

If the plans are approved, a block of flats rising 11 storeys and housing approximately 283 students will rise in Vincent’s Walk.

Developers say they will target returning and overseas students, rather than students entering their first year.

This proposal is part of a wider ambition by councillors and local residents to reduce the number of students in privately rented accommodation, with university-led projects such as Mayflower and City Gateway halls of residence having opened recently, and the refurbishment of Chamberlain halls (adjacent to Glen Eyre) scheduled to open in September 2016.

In addition, proposals made by private developers for student accommodation on sites such as that of the former B&Q on Portswood Road and ‘Back of the Walls’ in the City Centre have been given the green light by councillors.

A further proposed development adjacent to Sainsbury’s on Portswood Road is in the planning stages.

A decision on the plans for the former Voodoo nightclub is expected by the end of the year.

Deputy Editor of the Wessex Scene for 2015/16. I often write News, Politics and Opinion pieces. As well as writing for the Scene I can be found in the Surge Radio studio, where I am the Head of News. Also, as I'm new to twitter and desperate, follow me!! @95moliver