Southampton Ranked One of the Best Cities in the UK to Live and Work

0

Southampton has been named as one of the best cities in the UK to live and work in, beating out cities such as London, Manchester and Brighton, according to PwC’S Good Growth for Cities report. The city is ranked sixth, up from a position of eighth in 2014.

Reading and Bracknell topped the list for the third successive year in the study of 39 cities/urban areas, defined as an area with over 250,000 inhabitants, with Oxford coming in second, followed by Edinburgh and Cambridge. Aberdeen completes the top 5.

The lowest ranked ‘city’ was Wakefield and Castleford. London was ranked 32nd, and 37th if only its boroughs were included in the survey.

The findings of the report are calculated by assessing these urban areas in ten categories which measure quality of life and economic performance.

Southampton itself is ranked highly in areas such as employment and health, but below-par for house affordability and work-life balance.

Factors in Southampton’s improvement (the fourth largest out of any UK city in the report) from a position of eighth in 2014 include a fall in unemployment, as well as general improvements in health and skills.

The report can be accessed here  and the full table can be found below:

Rank

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39

City/Urban Area

Reading and Bracknell
Oxford
Edinburgh
Cambridge
Aberdeen
Southampton
Bristol
Belfast
Leicester
Coventry
Portsmouth
Preston
Norwich
Swindon
Milton Keynes and Aylesbury
Plymouth
Cardiff
Brighton
Stoke-on-Trent
Leeds
Nottingham
Warrington & Wigan
Wirral and Ellesmere Port
Glasgow
Manchester
Sheffield and Rotherham
Newcastle and Durham
Southend and Brentwood
Hull
Maidstone & North Kent
Swansea Bay
Birmingham
Bradford
Liverpool
Sunderland
London (Boroughs only)
Middlesbrough and Stockton
Wakefield and Castleford

Deputy Editor of the Wessex Scene for 2015/16. I often write News, Politics and Opinion pieces. As well as writing for the Scene I can be found in the Surge Radio studio, where I am the Head of News. Also, as I’m new to twitter and desperate, follow me!! @95moliver