UPDATE: Junk Nightclub Closed For 24 Hours After Multiple Stabbings

0

Police have ordered the 24 hour closure of the Junk nightclub on London Road as they continue to question four men in connection with multiple stabbings early yesterday morning.

Detectives arrested four men aged between 19 and 21 from the London area on suspicion of grievous bodily harm and affray. The men are still being questioned in police custody.

Two men were stabbed and a third suffered head injuries. All three men (aged 26, 32 and 34) were taken to Southampton General Hospital for treatment.

Junk

A South Central Ambulance Service spokesman said they were first called to the nightclub at 3.56am, and that police and ambulance crews at the scene were informed by a member of the public about another stabbing on nearby Carlton Crescent .

Part of Carlton Place nearby was closed off at the junction with Winchester Street while police and forensic teams conducted their examinations.  As a result of the incident, police served a 24 hour closure notice on the nightclub yesterday afternoon.

Officers are now appealing for further information from the public. Detective Inspector John McGonigle told the Daily Echo:

We’d like to reassure the community that we’re treating this as an isolated incident and are conducting a thorough investigation.

There will be increased patrols in the area throughout the weekend to provide reassurance and a visible policing presence.

We’re still investigating the circumstances around this incident.

Anyone with any information which may aid the investigation into the stabbings is encouraged to called 101 quoting Operation Twin 44160031832 or to contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111. You can also leave a message via the Hampshire Police website.

Wessex Scene will update this story as more information becomes available.

International Editor 2015-17. Third year French & Spanish student currently spending a year studying abroad in Concepción, Chile. Interested in media and world news.